SASCA members are SAMSA surveyors and are authorised to survey vessels <9meters in length.
All power driven vessels must be surveyed annually by a surveyor who then issues a Certificate of Fitness after an inspection. The Certificate of Fitness is valid for one year from the date of issue.
Vessels also have to be surveyed on change of ownership.
Vessels <9m are classified as follows:
- A - Vessels operating more than 40 nautical miles offshore
- B - Vessels operating up to 40nm offshore
- C - Vessels operating up to 15nm offshore
- D - Vessels operating up to 5nm offshore
- E - Vessels operating up to 1nm from shore
- R - Vessels operating on inland waters, estuaries and in harbours.
SASCA has appointed surveyors in all the major centres across South Africa.
|Merchant Shipping (National Small Vessel Safety) Regulations, 2007||View|
National small vessel - Safety regulations
- Category A ver 6
- Category B ver 6
- Category C ver 8
- Category D ver 8
- Category E ver 8
- Category R ver 8
- Category Reg 37 Pleasure D E R ver 6